Sunday, February 18, 2007

Childhood Memories

I saw a blog posting this morning that was talking about favorite childhood memories and many people had responded with what they missed about being a kid. So, today I thought back to my childhood and smiled as I remembered some fond memories that I rarely think of.

I thought to my self that this would make another good blog posting/category. As I think of childhood memories, I will try to add them to this blog. These will be fun for my kids to read about and have "on record".

Time flies so darn fast. I can't believe I am almost 33 years old. I can't believe that my kids are almost in junior high. We are coming up on 13 years of marriage this August. Amazing.

Some of my favorite childhood memories:

  • Playing "ghost in the graveyard" with friends on a warm summer evening after dark
  • Going fishing at the pond
  • Playing baseball and being half-way decent at it
  • Riding my bike to get my own haircut
  • Laughing so hard at the Guiness Book of Records with my aunt Betty
  • Going on fishing trips with my dad (especially the night with the racoon)
  • Summer vacations to San Diego with my grandparents
  • Getting my "golf swing" picture on the front of the local newspaper
  • Winning a free "oil change" for answering a question on a fishing radio talk show . . . I was 12.
  • Going camping at Pueblo Res. or Grandby with Rich and Shane
  • Listening to my walkman/radio as I fell asleep at night

That's all I can think of right now, but I know I thought of many more throughout today. I will add posts as I think of others.

What are some of your favorite childhood memories? What do you miss about being a kid? Please leave a comment with some of your thoughts!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's some memories may be we have in common.
3rd Grade:
-The teacher's name was Mrs. Wells and she won $10k in the Colorado Lottery so she bought a Pontiac Firebird. She actually gave me a ride home in it on a snowy day.
-I remember sitting in back of Jason Arneson, who was fun to talk to, who sat in the front seat.
-Eating snow, flavored with something, in class after fresh snow had fallen.
-Ralph (I can't remember his last name) ditching school and getting some police to chase him around school grounds.
-Getting beat up by David Park. I tripped him and that was the last time I ever did that! I never knew him but I wonder what ever happend to him.

Then how about 10 grade:
-Finding Jason at Arvada High School. Jason moved away from Fitzmorris at some point and so it was cool to find him again. He let me eat lunch with him, and that made my transition to High School much better than it would have been. I at least had one friend!
-Denise Merz (SP) a senior. I even attended an extra spanish class on my free hour because she was in it. What a dork I was.
-Dude, you would not beleive who is a news anchor in Colorado Springs. Stephani Pitlinski (SP). She's the Sophomore (when we were Junior's) that you thought looked like Denise Merz. I've even seen here at Sam's Club. It's really wild!
-Jason loaning me a book called Storming Intrepid, or something like that. I never finished it.
-Jason taking me to taco bell and other fast food restaurants for lunch in his beat up suburu wagon before he had his liscense. What a rebel. I was so glad we never got pulled over, although I never got my license until after I graduated anyway. I remember you could see the road through the floor because there was a hole in either the passenger or driver side.
-Free personal pan pizzas at pizza hut when the waitor could not get your 1st one there within 5 minutes or somthing like that. Everyone would go and order those at lunch which pretty much guaranteed a free one. That pizza hut went out of business not long after.
-Jason and I going to the rec center right by his house to play basketball. Man I felt out of place that night. I still love to play basketball though. I also remember playing tennis with Jason once, at that same rec center. Seacrest, I believe was the name. It's where I learned to swim, actually.
-Going to Jason's house a couple of times. It seemed that you liked to play chess on your computer.
-Our junior year, I think, we went up skiing with Matt Garrett. Jason snowboarded and he screwed up his knee. That probably isn't a good memory.
-Jason talking about playing baseball.

Anonymous said...

Hello Jason, I have no idea how to blog....never done it before! Your site is interesting, will be fun to read your thoughts! I loved the Valentine for Laura....so sweet! I knew in Nebraska back on your wedding day you were both a match made in heaven! Love ya and have a great week, cousin Em