Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Being a father ...

Deep Thought - Being a father is an AMAZING responsibility!

Last night, the boys came home from visiting family in Nebraska after Christmas. I was happy to see them both for a little while, but soon after CJ was off to his friends house for a sleepover. So that left CT home with us. It was nice to have some one on one time with CT.

We played Connect Four for a while and discussed many seemingly simple things that held such greater meaning . . .

Life and Death - We talked about the death of Denver Bronco Darrent Williams. and the fact that he won't get to play football anymore and that he will be missed. Life is precious and we are never guaranteed a new day, so we need to make the most of the ones we have.

Ethics - We talked about what it means to think about our actions and why we do things. We talked about how the satisfaction of an action is so much more meaningul if it is done in the right way (ie. not cheating).

Critical Thinking - In the course of playing the game, we were able to talk about why we made the moves we did and how to think ahead. You can play the game from offense or defense.

Anyway, then we watched one of the most amazing football games I have ever seen! The Boise State Broncos (David) vs. the Oklahoma State Sooners (Goliath). BSU had an undefeated season and were ahead 28 to 20 when we started watching, but ended in regulation tied at 28-28. OU scored easily in overtime, and then BSU was able to match it and went for two to win the game with an amazing "Statue of Liberty" play. It was awesome, and I was so glad to share that moment (memory) with my youngest son.

Then we finished off the night watching Ice Age 2: The Meltdown.

It was a great night . . . and it made me realize that being a father is such an amazing responsibility. Being a mom is obviously equally important, but I am a dad. We have to teach our children what is right and wrong, how to be good friends, how not to take the easy way out, how to work hard, how to view women (men), how to love people, manners, etc. The list could go on for miles. Not only do we have to teach it, but we have to model it too. That's the hard part sometimes isn't it?

I love my kids and I love being their dad . . . I just hope I can do a respectable job. They are growing up so fast. I can't fix past mistakes, but I can do my best not to make those mistakes today!

No comments: