Wednesday, March 7, 2007

1000 Reasons to get rid of your T.V.

When my boys get home from school, what is the first thing they usually do? Watch T.V. or play video games.

When I get home from work, the first thing I do is usually turn on the computer, and then watch some T.V.

My kids mostly watch the kids' channels like Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and others. Mostly Ned's Declassified, Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron . . . stuff like that. It's not terrible stuff.

But, then you add in the video games . . . more hours staring at a box. I think we do a pretty good job of limiting it, but still it can add up.

My wife and I will usually watch Heroes on Monday nights (the boys too), and then we love our Thursday night shows of Scrubs (which is my favorite show ever!), The Office and 30 Rock. Tina Fey is a comedic genius by the way.

Of course, then you have DirectTV, Netflix, etc. that keep you coming back to that glorious glowing box. Not to mention football season (like to watch those Bronco games) and other various sporting events (March Madness).

We have two T.V.'s . . . one in the living room and one in our bedroom.

My question is this . . . are there enough reasons to get rid of your television sets? How do you limit the amount of screen-time for your eyes. I see so many more useful things to with our time, but we seem to often take the lazy way out and sit down in front of that glowing square.

What to do? I am going to start a list on this post. If it reaches 1,000 reasons why we should get rid of our television, then I will sell them and put that time, money and energy into these better uses. You can help me out by adding some to the comments section and then I will add them to this post.

If I don't reach 1,000 . . . then at least I have some good options to keep me from staring at the T.V.

1,000 Better Things To Do Than Watch T.V./Video Games

1. Take your dog for a walk.
2. Spend some time playing a family game together.
3. Homework!!!!
4. Practicing musical instruments (or learn one!).
5. Write your own stories.
6. Update your blog (duh!)
7. Help your wife start a photography business.
8. Catch up with an old friend (or keep up with your current ones!)
9. Listen to Wolfmother . . . what a great band.
10. Add another good thing to this list!

3 comments:

k r said...

For me, it only took about 39 years (well, maybe a little less if you don't count the years that I couldn't really do anything for myself -- like the first 2 or 3). But I think I'm finally tired of TV. I still watch it, of course. But I'm tired of it.

If I have the choice of doing something interesting (even reading a book), I'll probably choose that over watching TV.

I'm sure it's just a phase that I'll grow out of. :)

Dave Clark said...

Not that I do these instead of watching TV, but there is:

-Read the Bible alone or with your family
-Work overtime if your wife is happy
-Take your wife out if she is not happy
-Write your wife an email
-Plan something for next aniversary or V-day
-Create a wish list
-Go for a walk or roll
-Take one or all of your kids out
-Go shopping
-create a budget
-gather old stuff and give it to goodwill
-Go to church
-volunteer at church or community
-Play disc golf
-Solve a Rubik's cube
-Go to a movie (that's kind of like TV, except more expensive.)
-Predict March Madness results
-Create a Nueral Network to predict March Madness results
-Plan a vacation with your family
-Plan a vaction with just you and your wife
-Pray
-Write in a jounal
-Make goals
-Plan your week
-Create a monetary system where you earn TV time by doing chores around the house (you kids will love this!)
-Bake cookies and eat them
-Update your resume
-Learn to play an instrument
-Sell stuff on ebay or craigslist

Anonymous said...

Yes tv is only good for when your kids are sick and they need something to cheer them up! Disney or a video......

Although Wheel of Fortune has become a nightly ritual while we finish dinner....

Oh and then of course there is Top Model, Top Chef, Top Designer, The Nanny, Apprentice, Biggest Loser and Survivor??? But these are Educational in nature right? smile

NO, we bought a big expensive tv....and we have both had regrets since. Costco does return just about anything......but its still the pull of the flesh to zone out and watch instead of pick up a book or read the BiBLE!

Oh, did I mention that we also like Dog the Bounty Hunter, and Chop ??? Some guy who does whacky things to sell cars from his Vegas Dealership?

Oh and of course are FAVORITE! LITTLE PEOPLE BIG WORLD THE ROLOFF FAMILY! YES!!!! I Have narrowed it down to our favorite! This guy is an inspiration.....he thinks it then does it! WOW!

Bottom line.....TV is BADDDDDDD! and I guess we do like it a little!
E&S Surprise